Data Center Infrastructure Monitoring
A middle east based DCIM company approached Funambolo to partner with them in implementing the infrastructure monitoring solution in two major data centres managed by two telecom giants in middle east.
The data centres were built sometime back and no provision was made to monitor the infrastructure. The mandate was to monitor
Funambolo carried out the following activities.
- Power status (phase wise Voltage, current, Wattage, frequency etc) in Low-voltage switchgear panel including circuit breaker status.
- UPS parameters including UPS output switchboard)
- UPS battery room parameters
- Power status (phase wise Voltage, current, Wattage, frequency etc) in UPS distribution boards including MCB ON/OFF status etc
- Chillers and CRAC (computer Room Air conditioner) units parameters
- Interfacing with a proprietary BMS system which was monitoring access control, fire & safety infrastructure to pull data
- Generators, water / Fuel tanks etc
- Environment monitoring
- Carryout study of the existing infrastructure, identify and document the infrastructure components , which
a. had built-in interfaces for measurement and connectivity
b. had built-in interfaces for measurement and NO connectivity
c. have no provision for measurement.
d. Identify a method to reverse engineer and see how data from the legacy BMS system can be obtained
- Identify / build suitable communication modules to enable connectivity capability to those devices which have measurement capability but no communication capability and procure them
- Identify / build suitable modules to enable measuring and connectivity capabilities to those devices which have no measurement & communication capability and procure them
- Develop and manufacture gateway devices to connect to these systems (which or on heterogeneous protocols) and acquire the related data and convert it to a industry standard SNMP protocol to connect to DCIM server.
- Develop and manufacture gateway devices to connect to legacy BMS system and acquire the related data and convert it to a industry standard SNMP protocol to connect to DCIM server.
- Carryout the necessary cabling from the devices to the gateways which are installed in the racks.
- Provide the necessary OIDs to the DCIM software vendor cabling
Funambolo developed MODBUS to SNMP gateways, Dry contact monitoring systems, gateways for legacy BMS to SNMP and environment monitoring gateways.
The system was successfully installed, the functionally tested and the installation and handover is complete.
This demonstrates the design and development capabilities of Funambolo team in carrying out design and implementation of customised data center environmental monitoring projects for legacy data centers. If necessary, Funambolo can develop customised hardware and gateways to provide data acquisition capabilities.